Every automotive service department has received phone calls from customers asking for the price of a service or repair. These customers are going to move forward with an appointment somewhere, so you how do you get them to drive into your service lane?
Here are my top tips for turning price shoppers into customers:
- Make a Good First Impression
- A price shopper is likely calling multiple car dealerships and auto service centers.
- You can stand out by being the friendliest on the phone!
- Ask the customer for his or her name, and use it.
- Make sure your team is polite, and eager to help answer questions.
- Clarify Your Expertise
- Share with your customer that your expert technicians would want to evaluate the vehicle to determine the cause of concern, or to verify that the service he or she is pricing is needed.
- Add Value
- When providing a quote to a price shopper, give more than just a number.
- Explain the value your shop adds:
- Will an ASE Master Technician work on the car?
- Do you provide a multi-point inspection for free?
- Will you be washing the car once the service is complete?
- Adding value to price will help you stand out; do not assume callers know about the benefits you provide!
- Offer An Appointment!
- Ensure the caller knows you want his or her business by offering an appointment time.
- Simply say, “We can get you in tomorrow at 2:00 to take care of that” to engage the customer.
- If the customer declines to book immediately, encourage him or her to call back with any additional questions.
These may seem like simple steps but they are often overlooked, meaning business is overlooked! Train your service team to engage price shoppers by role playing these steps and placing some “secret shopper” calls to your own department to hear what potential customers hear.
For more tips on maximizing service sales, contact me