Often we see customers visiting a dealership only for warranty repairs, returning to their regular shop for routine maintenance and other needs.
Many of us make the mistake of assuming that warranty customers at car dealerships only want to have a covered service or recall taken care of, and then plan to be on their way. But when you have a new warranty customer in your shop, you also have an opportunity to gain a customer for life. Making sure you leave an outstanding impression is essential to gaining their business!
Here are some key & effective tips for converting warranty customers into retail customers:
- Engage every customer in a sincere and personal way. “Good morning, welcome to ABC Ford, thank you for coming in today, I am John.”
- Conduct a Free Multi-Point Inspection
- Not only is this a courtesy for the customer to give them an update on the health of their vehicle, it may offer opportunities to take care of other needed maintenance or retail repairs while the customer is in for service.
- The added value of a free inspection report and the convenience of handling other needs during the visit can be big benefits for your warranty customer! The key here is to SELL this value.
- Show your customer that you care: “Mr. Smith it is very important to me to make sure your vehicle is well maintained, safe and dependable, this NO CHARGE vehicle health inspection will allow me to do this.”
- Explain the benefits you offer that stand head and shoulders above your market area competition. Warranty customers may not be aware of the perks of being a client at your dealership!
- Convenience of hours
- Competitive pricing
- OEM parts, with parts and labor guarantee nationwide
- Factory trained and certified technicians
- Do you offer a free shuttle or loaner? Tell them!
- Is there a work area in the waiting room with Wi-Fi? Make sure they know!
Do not assume that a warranty customer just wants to have the covered work completed and be on his or her way. That customer deserves an outstanding experience at your dealership, like all of your service customers, and that lasting impression can turn a warranty customer into a customer for life! Try not to think for your customer, think what is best for your customer.
To learn more about how to engage your customers, contact me!